More book reviews of interest

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 5 14:03:16 UTC 2011

Without commenting on the value of MacCulloch's approach: it is profoundly
(though not exclusively) influenced, at bottom, by the "etymological
fallacy."

Perhaps linguists have dismissed the etymological fallacy a little too
glibly as simple superstition.  The fact is that once you know an etymology,
it becomes inseparable from your perception of the term. Books on
poetry once urged how much richer our lives would be if we familiarized
ourselves with a word's etymology.

At any rate, if I meet any Miaphysites, I'll be extra careful not to think
of them as Nestorians.

JL