tornado advisory terms (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu May 5 19:00:26 UTC 2011

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

My home (Madison County, AL) took a beating last week.  Huntsville has a
history of deadly tornados (4/3/1974, 11/15/1989, 5/18/1995), and the
local meteorologists are attuned to the slightest possibility of
breaking into regular broadcasts and showing how brave they are by
standing outside.

One thing that has made "Tornado Warning" less specific than it used to
be is Doppler radar.  Used to be, a tornado actually had to be seen and
reported before we entered "Tornado Warning" status -- up till that, it
was always Tornado Watch.  Now, Doppler radar can detect rotational
vortices associated with funnel clouds, and the local news will report
these as "Tornado Warning" -- even if no funnel cloud is ever seen, and
no rotational winds ever approach ground level.

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> Yeah, but get this. Every fifteen minutes last night we were
> getting "Tornado Warnings" from the National Weather Service in
Morristown,
> TN.  To my surprise, each one of these warnings (and they were indeed
called
> "Tornado Warnings" both on screen and in the voiceover) was a warning
for
> "severe thunderstorms that could produce tornadoes."  More startling,
the
> voiceover went on to say "This tornado will be at X at such-and-such a
time,
> at Y, etc., etc.," The word "tornado" was explicitly used even when
there
> was no tornado. And, fortunately, there mostly wasn't.
>
> To use "tornado" to mean "violent thunderstorm" can only lead to
confusion
> and possibly worse. In fact, in my day (i.e., before this year) a
"Tornado
> Warning" was indeed issued only when a funnel cloud (aloft or on the
ground)
> had actually been sighted. Anything short of that was a "Tornado
Watch,"

----