There's a broken heart for every light on Broadway

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 6 01:39:33 UTC 2011

Thousands and thousands of hits, though not in YBQ.

I first read this in 1963 in the less romantic reverse form of "There's a
broken light for every heart on Broadway." I remember it clearly because it
made absolutely no sense to me. Then I heard Mel Torme' singing it straight.

Anyway, the original phrase is the title of a pop song written by the team
of Fred Fisher and Howard E, Johnson and recorded by Victor in January,
1916.

http://victor.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/matrix/detail/700002062/B-17048-Theres_a_broken_heart_for_every_light_on_Broadway

JL