public spiritedness

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 6 17:16:46 UTC 2011

I think the change (if there really has been one, which I think arguable)
has most to do with the connotations of "spiritedness."

"Spirit" today usually means energy and enthusiasm (team spirit) more than
it does intelligent consideration.

JL