N-word Hill, Calif.

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 7 19:05:30 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 9:17 AM, Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender: Â  Â  Â  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster: Â  Â  Â  Jonathan Lighter <wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject: Â  Â  Â N-word Hill, Calif.
>
> http://www.newser.com/article/d9n1hri82/in-calif-graves-relocated-from-a-gold-rush-town-named-negro-hill-still-carry-slur.html
>
> A GB check shows that the town was referred to almost from the beginning as
> both "Negro Hill" and "Nigger Hill," though "Negro Hill" does seem to have
> primacy.
>

> JL
> --

Wal, IMO, Nigga Heel do have a soid'n rang tuh it dass missin from
"_Negro Hill_." Indeed, the latter is right "It-less," as my mother
would say. When I was a child, she refused to explain what the missing
"It" was. "Later *on*," as she would also say, as opposed to simple
"later," I figured out both the meaning and its concomitant extension
for myself.

A while ago, someone on the ANS listserv mentioned the existence of a
similarly-named site in New Jersey(?).

--
-Wilson
-----