working out an etymological puzzle

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon May 9 04:05:09 UTC 2011

--

Here's a short article I happened to see (don't know whether there's
anything new):

http://homes.chass.utoronto.ca/~cpercy/courses/6361Pangman.htm

Surely not every word in ancient Greek had Indoeuropean origin. If one
can invoke 'taboo' to explain this grotesque 'deformation', I suppose
one can also consider (among other possibilities) the possibility of
avoidance, consequent disappearance of the IE reflex, and replacement
from some (non-IE) neighbor language. Just woolgathering.

-- Doug Wilson