paranoid

Mon May 9 13:30:52 UTC 2011

An interesting version of the kernel of the idea appears in a footnote
of a book by Otto Fenichel (apparently dated 1953). The remark is
connected to Freud because Fenichel states that it can be concluded
when reading a paper written by Freud. This fits with the intriguing
1967 Journal of the APA cite that Victor found.

1953, "Collected papers: Volume 1" by Otto Fenichel, GB Page 11, W.W.
Norton, New York. (Google Books snippet; Not verified on paper)

Freud, in his study "Certain Neurotic Mechanisms in Jealousy, Paranoia
and  Homosexuality," (Coll. Pap., Vol. n, London, Hogarth, 1948),
shows that even paranoiacs do not project arbitrarily, but rather by
exaggerating minute objective signs.

Garson