Viral Quotes: Remark about a funeral: I approve of it (attrib Ebenezer Rockwood Hoar 1887; attrib Mark Twain 1938)

Mon May 9 15:47:15 UTC 2011

Thanks for responding with valuable material from your searches Victor.

Wendell Phillips died on Feb. 7, 1884 according to Britannica. Here is
a cite with a version of the joke on February 29th. So the quip was in
circulation within weeks of the death of Phillips.

Cite: 1884 February 29, Cincinnati Commercial Gazette (Cincinnati
Commercial Tribune), Approving of the Funeral, Page 2, Column 5,
Cincinnati, Ohio. (GenealogyBank)

Approving of the Funeral.

Boston Post.-The Hon. E. R. Hoar did not love Phillips over much in
his later years. It is now reported of him that while the remains of
the great agitator were awaiting the final ceremonies a distinguished
Cambridge gentleman asked him if he was going to attend Wendell
Phillips's funeral. "No," was the reply, "but I approve it!"

Garson