profiling

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 10 06:49:40 UTC 2011

AFAIK profiling has two nearly opposite, but convergent meanings. One is the
kind of "profiling" that was the subject of TV show "Profiler"--narrowing
down the profile pattern of the criminal based on the nature of the crime.
This kind of "profiling" is particularly common for serial murderers where
there is a significant body of recurrent evidence that may offer
psychological clues.

The other is the oft-objectionable law enforcement technique of turning
everyone who fits a certain superficial profile as suspects--without
evidence or even probable cause. In fact, they treat the profile alone as if
it were probable cause, which is why this is constitutionally objectionable.

The pilot was not "profiling"--he was simply a bigot. An example of
"profiling based on appearance" would be Providence PD and the FBI pulling
off several Sikhs off an Amtrak train on 9/12/2001. To them, anyone wearing
a turban--and, especially with a "weapon" hanging on his chest--was an evil
Muslim terrorist.

VS-)