note on "bastard"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 11 00:13:08 UTC 2011

At 8:04 PM -0400 5/10/11, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>At 5/10/2011 02:44 PM, victor steinbok wrote:
>>I vote for "inconsequential"--female bastards could not--or were not likely
>>to--inherit.
>
>Neither could male bastards, I believe.
>
>Joel

I thought Victor's point was that a bastardess in question wouldn't
have been in a position to inherit in the possible world in which her
parents were married when she was conceived or born (depending on the
definition), assuming she was still female in that possible world.
On the other hand, the male bastard would have been, whence the
relevance of *his* but not *her* parents' marital status at the
relevant time.

LH