fail over

Chris Waigl chris at LASCRIBE.NET
Wed May 11 16:27:44 UTC 2011

"Failover" is a familiar term in IT system management jargon, and I've seen it (increasingly?) used metaphorically in more general contexts.

Failover (or fail-over) can be a noun or a verb. It means something quite different from "backup" in that it refers to the situation in which a service, when being affected by an outage, is automatically switched over to a stand-by or redundant system and therefore continues to be offered with little or no visibility to the users of the service that an outage has occurred. A stand-by system would be one that is substantially inactive when no outage occurs whereas a redundant system could be one that works in a shared or load-balanced configuration with the one that encounters the outage. [It occurs to me that a non-technical speaker may consider this situation an instance of "back-up", but in the technical sense, (data) back-up refers to redundant copies of data or system snapshots being taken on a pre-defined schedule and stored in a location different from the original data or system as well as provisions to restore the original system's state from those copies.]

As a verb, failover can be used transitively and intransitively: "The power supply unit overheated and failed over to the secondary power supply unit." "During the weekly system testing, all database servers were  failed over [to some stand-by database server or other]."

You would find the word failover surrounded by related jargon terms such as availability, uptime, redundancy, robustness, SLA (service-level agreement: a contractual obligation of a service provider that sets out minimally acceptable values for uptime and/or severity of outages) etc. etc.

Chris Waigl

Chris Waigl -- http://chryss.eu -- http://eggcorns.lascribe.net
twitter: chrys -- friendfeed: chryss