eno's vegetable moto

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Thu May 12 03:53:18 UTC 2011

--

James Crossley Eno, of Newcastle, apparently first compounded the Eno
products. There is a Wikipedia page for Eno Fruit Salt, which was

Vegetable Moto was apparently a laxative, and in this light the name
"Moto" may be based on Latin rather than Japanese (although I don't know
for sure). Coincidentally the best description I find at a glance is in
a Japanese page ...

http://dspace.lib.niigata-u.ac.jp:8080/dspace/bitstream/10191/9351/1/14_67-74.pdf

... with the title "Sutorando Magazin no Iino no Koukoku" [I think] =
"Strand Magazine Eno Advertisements". [At a glance I don't see any
indication here that the name "Moto" is considered possibly Japanese.]

The "moto" in Japanese foodstuff names can be glossed "essence",
"ingredient", or "element", or perhaps in the soup connections "base", I
think (I defer to anyone familiar with Japanese OR with culinary words).
The "no" is a 'particle', essentially a possessive or genitive suffix or
postposition, equivalent to the preposition "of". I think when used in
Romanized Japanese this is usually separated as a word in recent times
although I've seen such particles attached to the preceding word in
Roman print occasionally. "Aji" = "flavor", so "aji-no-moto" can be
glossed "essence of flavor" or so. [I don't know offhand whether this is
originally a trade name.] "Inarizushi no mono" I think can be understood
as "inarizushi ingredient", i.e., the stuff used to make inarizushi (a
type of sushi), names of other canned products likewise. Again I defer
to Japanese chefs and the like.

I think "ajinomoto" can probably be considered a part of the English
language now, = "MSG". I don't know that the "moto" itself can be
considered English.

-- Doug Wilson