"Living Large"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 13 01:33:38 UTC 2011

And the 1834 ex. above from William Gilmore Simms, the South Carolina
novelist, is the only
pre-Don Pendleton occurence I have seen.

If memory serves, I looked for an occurrence of the phrase in the earliest
Executioner novels (1969+) without success until 1975.

I first started hearing it in conversation around 1990, IIRC.

JL