STI

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 14 13:26:16 UTC 2011

"Social disease" was *obviously* a euphemism, which means it just wouldn't
do in the realistic twentieth century. It was also a problem
because "social" might encourage people to believe they could contract
something horrible from society at large, which includes toilet seats.

(The OED exx. are diachronically not very useful, because they're mixed in
with metaphorical "social diseases," like crime.)

"VD" (OED 1920) was the no-nonsense term.  I may have posted this antedating
years ago, but I can't find it in the archives. The context is
epidemiological:

1918* *in George Walker _Venereal Disease in the American Expeditionary
Forces_ (Baltimore: Medical Standard Book Co., 1922) 188: The list (b) above
is tabulated as follows: Expressed intention not to be exposed in Paris, for
following reasons: I. Feared v.d.: Won't take chance without taking
prophylaxis and won't take prophylaxis because it is painful or too much
trouble: Don't believe prophylaxis is effective and don't want v.d
....15. *Ibid.
*190: [O]ne private severely criticized one of his own officers for giving
them a lecture on prostitution and v.d. and then being "half-stewed and
loving up" a prostitute in a Paris cafe.

OED has "STD" from 1974, but ISTR that it became a common colloquialism no
earlier than the widespread appearance of genital herpes, ca1977.

Between herpes, Legionnaire's disease, and Jimmy Carter, mankind seemed, to
many, doomed.

JL