A less-interesting "Memorex moment," but WTF?

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Sat May 14 22:38:03 UTC 2011

According to the OED, both made an appearance in the same 1585 publication
which, at the moment, stands as the earliest example:

1585    T. Washington tr. N. de Nicolay Nauigations Turkie iii. iii. 73 b,
> [They] let their mustaches grow very long.
> 1585    T. Washington tr. N. de Nicolay Nauigations Turkie iv. xii. 125
> [They] suffered no haire to grow, but only the moustaches betwixt the nose &
> the mouth.

VS-)