STI

Dave Wilton dave at WILTON.NET
Sat May 14 22:41:41 UTC 2011

It's not that ridiculous. Maintaining a distinction between infection and
disease is useful. Many infections never progress to any symptoms at all,
HPV is a good example. Some people get sick as a result of the infection,
but most live long and healthy lives completely unaware that they're
infected. But because they are carriers and might become sick, treating the
infection (or better yet, vaccination) is important.

HIV/AIDS is another case. AIDS is a syndrome, defined as the presence of
certain symptoms. There is a long latency period after infection where the
person does not have AIDS. And there is a very small number of people who do
not develop the disease at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf Of
Jonathan Lighter
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 4:52 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: STI

Isn't it a new ridiculous notion that a disease isn't really a "disease"
unless symptoms (I think that's another proscribed word) are apparent to a
layperson?

In other words, Magic Johnson's HIV isn't a "disease" because he looks and
feels fine. It's "just" an infection. But twenty years ago, when he was
diagnosed, everybody still foolishly thought he had a disease. How wrong
they were! (By current PR/PC standards, of course.)

I will assume that part of the difference is that you feel happy and
peppy with an "infection" but scared and miserable with a "disease."

Of course, there are certain medical conditions which are not infections
but, for the moment, are still diseases.  These, I suppose, are now simply
called "conditions."  So you're not scared and miserable. In theory.

So perhaps very soon we'll live at last in a world without disease.

JL

On Sat, May 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM, victor steinbok
<aardvark66 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       victor steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: STI

---