paranoid

Mon May 16 16:44:59 UTC 2011

Here are some cites from a shallow search for the fractured verse with
the word schizophrenic. I only pushed it back to 1982 and not Jon's
date of 1967: A version of this comically-altered verse appeared in a
play that was reviewed in New York Magazine in 1982.

Cite: 1982 November 8, New York Magazine, Theater: Even the Kitchen
Sink by John Simon, Page 59, New York Media, LLC, New York. (Google
Books full view)

ANYBODY WHO HAS EVER LOVED ONE OF today's characteristic highly gifted
and deeply disturbed young women should feel right at home with
Standing on My Knees, John Olive's play about Catherine, a
schizophrenic poet living in—yes—today's equivalent of a garret. ...

We want to believe in Catherine's art, yet the best example we get is
a defiant non-jingle the girl hurls at her therapist: "Roses are red,/
Violets are blue;/ I'm a schizophrenic/ And so am I."

http://books.google.com/books?id=AOgCAAAAMBAJ&q=%22are+red%22#v=snippet&

The quotation was also included "1,911 Best Things Anybody Ever Said"
(1988) by Robert Byrne. It seems to appear in one of his earlier
books, but access is blocked in GB. Byrne credits Frank Crow.

Roses are red,violets are blue,
I'm a schizophrenic, and so am I.
                       Frank Crow

The Wikipedia entry for Oscar Levant (accessed May 16, 2011) includes
this saying and credits Levant.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Levant

The Penguin dictionary of modern humorous quotations (1987) by Fred
Metcalf may contain it. But access is blocked in GB, and I do not know
who is credited.