"Looking For New Words Added in the Past Century"

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 23 11:12:43 UTC 2011

I am not suggesting it's a good thing, but it doesn't sound like this guy or
anyone on his team wants to sit down with a dictionary at all. They want a
list (which, I suppose, a dictionary with such a search feature could
theoretically produce). I also suspect that he does not mean words that
might have appeared in a new meaning since 1911. So, "flash" or "memory"
would not qualify, while "flash memory" might--if they accept phrasal
"words"--which is why they may be running short. If one restricts the list
only to single words that had not merely acquired new meaning but were
entirely new coinages, the list indeed might be a short one--even
"integrated circuit", "quantum", "broadcast", "computer" or "calculator"
would not qualify. So we'd be restricted to words like transistor,
electronica (but not "electronic"), laser (and it's progeny: maser, phaser,
taser), LED/LCD (if initialisms are allowed), nanotechnology (and other
nano- words), thermonuclear, quintile, DNA, behaviorism, etc. And a lot of
these would either be hypertechnical (e.g., chemical and drug names) or
slangish (e.g., "psychobabble"--probably not something they'd want to
include). Interestingly, "vitamin" might qualify (coined right around 1912),
but "hormone" would not (already used a decade earlier). Popsicle is in
(1920s), but aspirin is out (1899).

VS-)