the sport of kings

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 23 12:35:38 UTC 2011

Bookmakin' Bonus:

1878 _Baily's Magazine of Sports & Pastimes_ (Oct.) 377: ...men prepared to
fill the gaps in the ranks of leading turfites...to [defend] the good repute
and fair fame of the king of sports no less than the sport of kings!

(The long phrase is also a cliche', as many will recognize.)
JL