nail that Jell-O

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 23 22:06:13 UTC 2011

Saturday Review (1956) has "cranberry jelly". House Committee on Education
hearings (apparently 1955--unverified) has "custard pie"--a volume of
Illinois Classical Studies once "have been told is an old country
expression, 'trying to *nail a custard pie to a wall*'." Will Edwin Mason in
1963 suggested, "In a world of more or less abstract moneys, the attempt to
distinguish meaningfully between standard and nonstandard money is on all
fours with the effort to *nail a shadow to a wall* of the Treasury
Building."

All the aforementioned hits involved nailing to a wall. The "nailing jello
to a tree" line appeared in the New Republic in 1963, likening Goldwater's
platform to it.

VS-)