"Looking For New Words Added in the Past Century"

Tue May 24 01:37:58 UTC 2011

Here is one strategy for obtaining some of the words that the
designers want to engrave on windows. Look in The Oxford Dictionary of
Science Fiction of Jeff Prucher (also known as "Brave New Words"). A
large collection of modern words that are now in the "conventional"
vocabulary first appeared in the literature of science fiction. Many
of these terms refer to items that are no longer "science fictional"
and may be acceptable to the designers. ODSF has great citations.

After locating a word in the ODSF look it up in the Oxford English
Dictionary and other dictionaries to see how it fits into the
"mainstream" and to check if other earlier citations have been found.

Planetography is in ODSF with a 1955 cite, but the OED gives a 1735
citation with a somewhat different meaning.

Webcast [noun] is in ODSF with a 1987 cite and in the OED with a 1995 cite.

Light-speed [noun] has 1929 (ODSF) and 1914 (OED) cites.

Another strategy involves consulting specialized dictionaries in the
sciences and social sciences. This may yield leads for further
examination.