Heard on Springer: "Sex?" "No."

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed May 25 17:45:07 UTC 2011

At 1:37 PM -0400 5/25/11, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>He did not have sex with that woman.
>
>I think we've discussed this before.  There seems to be a growing norm in
>America that "oral sex" is not "sex."

Well, a growing (post-Clintonian) *heterosexual* norm perhaps.  There
have been a number of empirical studies (not as much fun as that
makes it sounds--I'm talking questionnaires) that find an
unsurprising major effect of sexual orientation on this.  And here's
a take from a high school guidance counselor in a recent novel:
And when a girl like Jen Heplauer came into Leanne's office during
the school day and said, "Dr. Banerjee, a blow job isn't sex at all,
it's just a blow job", Leanne might tilt her head in that
bird-on-a-branch way, but she really hoped to be able to say, "Well,
it depends on the blower and the blowee."

-Meg Wolitzer (2011), _The Uncoupling_, p. 256