"You want punched out?"

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed May 25 18:54:23 UTC 2011

--

We've discussed this construction here in the past, as y'uns know.

My own notion (no doubt presented previously by somebody) is that it
might be viewed as involving "to get" deletion rather than (or in
addition to) "to be" deletion.

Various constructions have 'optional' "to get" deletion (I realize that
these are not all exactly comparable grammatically, but I suppose the
form might have spread from the more-ordinary to the less-ordinary):

Ordinary (I think):

He needs [to get] some whiskey.
I want [to get] more exercise.

Ordinary (I think) but sometimes said to be regional:

The dog wants [to get] out.
I want [to get] in.

Less ordinary, dialectal/regional(?):

Excuse me, I need [to get] past.
I need [to get] out of Ohio.

Dialectal (Scots-Irish-Pittsburgh or whatever):

The car needs [to get] washed.
Do you want [to get] punched in the nose?
He just wants [to get] laid.

Even more restricted (I think):

My cat likes [to get] spanked.

In my own experience (of course not necessarily representative) the
"needs washed" construction is used very frequently in Pittsburgh
vicinity and less frequently in Columbus OH but is unheard[-of] in
Detroit or Chicago. Various persons have said that it's usual in central
PA and eastern OH. And of course it must occur to some extent in any
place to which people have moved from Pittsburgh.

-- Doug Wilson