"You want punched out?"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu May 26 00:56:40 UTC 2011

This is fairly persuasive and I like the way it generalizes to "want
in/out", but I wonder whether it really works for the prototypical
case that you mention below:

This car needs [?to get] washed.
The shelves need [?to get] dusted.

--the "get" passive here and in other cases seem to convey some sort
of personification.  And do you get "Your son needs punished" without
the "to get"?  Or "I need home soon?"  I'm not a native speaker, so
even though I know that Murray & Simon paper I don't quite have the
intuitions down.

LH