narrative

Ronald Butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Thu May 26 16:10:39 UTC 2011

I am delighted to have this explanation, though I don't think it actually disagrees with what I said, which was that the phrase in question "appears" to be a slip of the tongue. The fact that there is a specialized use of the exact phrase suggests strongly that the speaker was referring to fencing or (more likely) using current British slang. It still COULD be a slip of the tongue, but (as I noted) that possibility is considerably diminished on semantic grounds.

It doesn't appear that you are disagreeing at all with what was my central point about the word "narrative," which JL seemed to consider in the usage that he quoted to be a case of semantic shift, although (it seems to me) it is just a minor metaphorical usage (which, I grant, is the way that many semantic shifts do begin).