Benjamin Disraeli's exemplary use of negation in the Parliament

Fri Nov 4 20:42:06 UTC 2011

The following quotation attributed to Benjamin Disraeli might provide
a fun example during a lecture about the use of negation:

[Begin excerpt]
Many an anecdote can be related involving the use of an
unparliamentary expression. One of the most famous concerns the
occasion when Disraeli was called to order for declaring that half the
Cabinet were asses. 'Mr. Speaker, I withdraw,' he apologized, 'half
the Cabinet are not asses!'
[End excerpt]

This text above is extracted from a 1972 book and it has not been
verified on paper. I also think a version of this anecdote was told in
a 1958 book. But I have not been able to push this entertaining story
further back in time. Disraeli died in 1881.

The wording varies, e.g., the terms "members of the Cabinet", "cabinet
members", "Cabinet", and "members" are all used.  Maybe older variants
of the tale suppressed the word "asses" or a maybe an entirely
different word was used. If a list member can find an earlier version
I would love to hear about it. I do not have access to UK content such
as The Times or The Manchester Guardian historical databases.

Here are two unverified cites:

Cite: 1972, An Encyclopaedia of Parliament by Norman Wilding and
Philip Laundy, GB Page 760, Cassell, London. (Google Books snippet;
Not verified on paper; Snippet shows text; Data may be inaccurate)

There is a substantial partial match of anecdote text above in the 1958 edition.

Cite: 1958, An Encyclopaedia of Parliament by Norman Wilding and
Philip Laundy, Hathitrust Match Page 581, Cassell, London.
(HathiTrust; Not verified on paper; Snippets not visible; Data may be
inaccurate)

Garson