"fish"; was "moist" (now out of the water?)

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Mon Nov 7 15:42:27 UTC 2011

I would imagine the sense of "fish" = weak players, suckers, prison
newcomers, Civil War rookies, persons brand new and stupid, comes
ultimately from:

Fish, n.1, sense 2.a. "Applied fig. to a person (also collect. to
persons) whom it is desirable to 'catch' or 'hook'." Dates from 1723
(Defoe) and 1753; and to 1885 (recent for OED2).

Joel