"fish" (was Re: "moist")

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 8 13:05:50 UTC 2011

"Garlic-eater" isn't really parallel because the garlic odor is
secondary to the foreign-food notion (cf. "frog-eater" and
"kraut-eater").

But even if odor is paramount, the alleged metaphor behind the
relevant sense of "fish" is far more oblique (even cryptic) than the
simple reductionism of "garlic-eater" (who in fact eat garlic).

It's the pat neo-Freudian cleverness and of the alleged "fish"
derivation that makes me suspicious. (ISTR an article - or a remark -
many years ago that claimed it proved the sick misogyny of gay men -
and not just the ones who used the word "fish." Was the etymologist
innocently projecting his own misogyny and homophobia?)

Not that I'm saying the derivation is impossible. But that level of
indirection would be extraordinary.

An alternative (or perhaps complementary) derivation would be from
"fresh fish" 'innocent newcomer,' applied (presumably) to new brothel
inmates; hence "fish" 'prostitute' (available for sale at a "fish
market"); hence (perhaps) 'female prostitute' from the point of view
of a male prostitute; hence 'heterosexual woman' (in homosexual use).

JL