"moist"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 11 14:42:20 UTC 2011

More from the early modern period.  In _Hubbub: Filth, Noise & Stench
in England, 1600--1770_,"(2007) Emily Cockayne engages fleas.  "The
entomologist Thomas Muffet (assumed to be the father of the 'little
miss Muffet' tormented by a spider as she tucked into her curds and
whey) observed that fleas molest people when they sleep---especially
'young maids' (they were apparently attracted by their moist parts)."  Page 57.

 From her source note, I think Muffet's observation on moist parts
will be found in Edward Topsell, _The History of Four-Footed Beasts,
Serpents, and Insects_ (London, 1658), pp. 1101-2.

Joel