"inpert" (n.; & occasional, unrelated v.) -- not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Fri Nov 11 16:05:53 UTC 2011

A.  Noun.  A small selection, with the earliest two instances I found
using GBooks.

1)  1961.

What the world needs more of, according to Neil M. Clark, writing in
The Freeman, is inperts. Experts, he explains, have for a long time
been in abundant supply, but the world's inventory of inperts is
shrinking rather than growing.  What is an inpert? Mr. Clark offers
this illustration [concerning Edison] ... We are sure Mr. Clark would
be the first to agree that Edison was an expert as well as an inpert. ...

Allegedly The Trust bulletin: Volume 41.  American Bankers
Association.  p. 69.  Snippet.  Harvard identifies vol. 41 as Sept.
1961 to June 1962.

Given (2) below, I believe the "Freeman" must be the one published by
the Foundation for Economic Education, 1950-.  Circa 1961 it was
either biweekly or monthly.

2)  1962.

The Inpert Situation.  Neil M. Clark.  [Chapter title and author]

Essays on liberty: Volume 9.  (Foundation for Economic
Education.)  p. 8.  Snippet.  I don't know whether, but certainly
suspect that, Clark's chapter will use "inpert".  Vol. 1 is 1952, so
vol. 9 for 1962 is plausible.

3)  1980.

To quote, "An inpert, unlike an expert, hasn't been tamed and trained
and taught how it must be done. ... (Louis "Satchmo" Armstrong might
be considered an inpert. ...

Allegedly Etc: a review of general semantics: Volume 37 (1980).  p.
367.  Snippet.  Vol. 1 is Aug. 1943, so vol. 37 and 1980 are consistent.

4)  2005 (2002?), when it is asserted not to exist.

There are also many instances where affixes have no antonym formed
from the morpheme paired above (expert, beautiful, but no *inpert, (*
beautiless).

Lexikologie/Lexicology: Ein Internationales Handbuch Zur Natur Und
... . 2005 (but the copyright says 2002).  p. 528, col.
1.  Preview.  (Article by Adrienne Lehrer, "Semantic relations of
derivational affixes".)

B.  Verb.  (I looked only for "impert <objective pronoun>".)

1)  c1440 (1878)

'Nay, god defende it,' quod Clarionas, / 'That ye shalt inpert me so
in this case;

William Aldis Wright. Generydes: a romance in seven-line stanzas.
Edited from the Unique Paper MS. in Trinity College, Cambridge (About
1440 A.D.).  p. 143.   Its Glossarial Index, p. 236, claims "Inpert,
v. to injure."

2)  ??

Joel