spurious Cicero quote

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Nov 14 00:59:30 UTC 2011

On Nov 13, 2011, at 4:41 PM, David A. Daniel wrote:

> Plato, Cato, Cicero*,
> They all make me sickero!
> All good students love the ladies!
> Homer, Xerxes, Xenophon. Twice as bad againophon.
> All good teachers go to Hades.
>
> Chemistry, advanced biology, -ology,
> Do not merit an apology;
> Higher math. Stirs up wrath; Latin prose, thumb your nose.
> Julius Caesar**, he's a teaser. History's a mystery. So...
>
> *Pronounced Kickeroh, of course.
> DAD

**Pronounced /'kaisar/ or (with a bit of slack) /'kaiz at r/, essentially as in Keyser Soeze. (I'm sure Julius was one of the usual suspects as far as a lot of the auslanders were concerned.)  So for "Caesar" to rhyme with "taser", the latter must be /taiz at r/, i.e. "taser" pronounced with an Australian accent.  Works for me.

LH