"We ARE x !"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 16 23:03:47 UTC 2011

Penn State (unofficially) claims that the chant dates to the 1947
Sugar Bowl. State's team was supposed to meet with SMU's team to
discuss the status of State's black players. I.e. SMU didn't want play
against any coloreds. When this was explained to the team, a white PSU
player spoke up: "No [to any such meeting]! We [all] are Penn State!"

Or something like that.

The rest is history.

IAC, regardless of the truth and/or the date of this tale, I've
personally been aware of this cheer as a Penn State thing for the past
half-century or so, it being the case that story has to do with taking
a stand against racism when that sort of thing was simply not done, by
a "gentleman's agreement," to coin a phrase.

Naturally, this story would be told and re-told amongst the colored.

--
-Wilson
-----