the night is getting old

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 18 03:20:47 UTC 2011

That's right, Wilson.

This shtick is getting old.

I'd have no problem with this if not for two factors--1) the expression
is far older than the plain "getting old"; 2) there is the plain
version, without "getting".

This is mainly why I posted it. I don't dispute that it's possible to
use the expression as you suggest. That's not how it was used in the
show (simply meant that it was late) and it's not how it's used more widely.

YMMV.

     VS-)