"Look to the left ..."

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 21 19:14:32 UTC 2011

Well, there is one difference--the 1937 article specifically mentioned
"men". This is certainly no longer the case. On the other hand, it goes
with a lot of other Harvard LS lore--hiding casebooks and review
articles so that others would not find them (also no longer applicable
because of electronic access), etc. Some of this has been popularized in
the Paper Chase (book, film, series). Some ended up in Legally Blond.
Some is simply passed on from one generation of lawyers to the next (and
not just at Harvard).

The closest I can think of with an attrition rate of 30%+ is the
Berkeley math department. They are known for bringing in a lot of grad
students only to slaughter them with exams. Someone has to teach the
large freshman courses, after all. Of course, this too may be apocryphal.

     VS-)