Query: Slang "Cool!" in 1868?

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 22 21:03:11 UTC 2011

I did some hard thinking about this ex. of "cool" when I read _The
Moonstone_ about twenty years ago.

I concluded that it could only have meant "calmly impudent or
self-assured."  My article on "cool" in the _Atlantic_ in 1994
suggested that just this sort of context - where the self-assurance
might be thought admirably daring - might have contributed to the
development of the American slang term.

IAC, the possibility that Collins was using "cool" in the modern sense
in 1868 may be dismissed. He was not a slangy writer: his serious
characters speak standard English. If he intended "cool" to have a
radically novel sense, he (or his editor) would have put in italics -
or italics plus quotation marks; an authorial comment on such a daring
usage would also have been fitting.

It is also the case that no unambiguous exx. of modern "cool" have
been found at so early a date. That such a sense should have appeared
in print in England in 1868, without authorial comment and leaving no
trace, only to be rediscovered in America decades later taxes my
credulity.

(Note: the first time I typed that, it came out "crudility." Feel free
to use in your own life.)

JL