"Look to the left..." (was "Modern Fable: Lions and gazelles")

Wed Nov 23 02:52:25 UTC 2011

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 9:43 PM, George Thompson <george.thompson at nyu.edu>
 wrote:

> I have a very vague memory of this line being used in a late 1940s-early
> 1950s comic movie.  Out of the fog, I have a vision of Donald O'Connor.  It
> was in the context of the freshman class being welcomed to college.

A bit of research suggests that this movie was probably "High Time", 1960,
starring Bing Crosby, with Donald O'Connor nowhere to be found.

Meanwhile, my wife tells me that her freshman class was handed this line at
Westminster College (a Presbyterian school in western Pennsylvania), also
in 1960.
Or, should I say, "ironically, also in 1960"?

All of this takes us back to olden times, when it was still possible for a
student to flunk out of college.

GAT

--
George A. Thompson
Univ. Pr., 1998, but nothing much since then.