52 phonemes of English?

Wed Nov 23 22:03:46 UTC 2011

I think most people also pronounce "tsunami" with an initial "s" as well. How do most people pronounce "tse-tse"? As /si-tsi/?

A similar sound is /sr/ as in Sri Lanka--probably more widespread than initial /ts/--though many people use an /shr/ sound.

FWIW, I have been mildly teased for pronouncing Bach and Chanukah with the /kh/ sound, so I try to pick and choose my pronunciation.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA