millionaires from France [was: Wall street]

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Nov 24 21:57:17 UTC 2011

When something approaches the 18th century, I
look in America's Historic Newspapers.

1795, not quite English --

National Convention -- Dec. 10.
A member demanded, that all those temporary laws
which breathe the oppressive tyranny of
Robespierre, should be immediately expunged from
the criminal code ... in consequence of which we
often saw conducted to the scaffold in the same
cart, the cook-maid, the ex-marchioness, the
financier, the rich capitalist, (_Le
Millionaire_) the barber's apprentice, the
general officer, and the sans culottes, all
condemned under the general accusation.

Columbian Centinel [Boston], 1795 March 4, page 2.  EAN.

[There are then some instances in 1834 and 1835,
taken from British publications or reported from Britain.]

Joel