Antedating of "Motel"

Ron butters ronbutters at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 27 21:02:52 UTC 2011

I looked at the trademark registry and find that by 1936 the term "motel" was being used generically by the TM board. Even if he didn't register the term, he could have claimed common-law rights. And it would not have cost very much to register the term. I suspect that it became generic at once, and that they would not have let him register it had he tried.

If he did try, there should be a 1924 application in print. I don't find one, but maybe I don't know how to use the registry's search mechanism well enough to find one before the generic use in 1936.

Sent from my iPad