We believe what? Transubstantiatioin?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Nov 29 01:01:14 UTC 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 7:15 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 5:55 PM, Tom Zurinskas <truespel at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> "transubstantiation"
>
> Well, that is THE primary belief of the entire theology of The One
> True Faith that distinguishes it from Protestantism. I don't know why
> anyone would be required to state his belief in it publicly, outside
> of a trial for heresy. What could possibly motivate someone not
> already a believer in the Transubstantiation, the absolute centerpiece
> of the Mass, to go to Mass for other than anthropological reasons I
> can't imagine.

Could Tom Z. have been looking it up in a source that listed only the version with a doubled <ss> ("transsubstantiation")?  as in (although I imagine the allusion will not be considered dignum or justum) "transsexual"/"transexual"?

> FWIW, IMO, eliminating Latin was a bad idea, even granting that the
> only reason that Latin came to be used in the first place, replacing
> Greek and Aramaic, was to make the ceremony transparent to the
> at-the-time Latin-speaking polloi.
>
> Whatever, I miss the missals with Latin on one page and
> pswaydo-Eliabethan English on the facing page.
>
> Vere dignum et justum est ...
> It is truly meet and just …

Somehow reminding one (or at least this one) of

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

LH