African Dodgers

Sat Oct 1 21:23:56 UTC 2011

In 1906 a product under the variant name "Artful Dodger" was marketed.
The accompanying illustration showed children using the product.

Cite: 1906 October 13, The American Stationer, Artful Dodger, Page 18,
New York and Chicago. (Google Books full view)
http://books.google.com/books?id=DWNYAAAAYAAJ&q=dodger#v=snippet&

<Begin excerpt>
The American News Company is showing a new game which has numerous
attractions for old and young. The accompanying illustration gives a
good idea of the game and the way it is played. It consists of a
canvas 36 x 84 inches, with brass eyelets in the upper corners to
fasten it up with. In the center is a sunflower finished in natural
colors. The canvas is hung in a doorway, or some other convenient
place; a person puts his face through an opening in the picture of the
sunflower, and the rest attempt to hit the face with one of the balls.
Five balls are supplied with each game, and the whole is packed in an
attractive box. The game goes to the trade at $18 per dozen.
<End excerpt>

In 1908 the variant name "artful dodger" was used to describe an
activity that MIT alumni engaged in with one another. Each former
student "poked his head through a hole in the canvas" and was the
target of fellow classmates.

Cite: 1908 July, The Technology Review, "News from the Classes: 1893:
Frederic H. Fay, Sec. 60 City Hall, Boston, Mass.", Page 352-353
Volume 10, Number 3, Alumni Association of the Massachusetts Institute
of Technology.
http://books.google.com/books?id=i1cZAAAAYAAJ&q=artful#v=snippet&

<Begin Excerpt>
Later on in the evening there was an "artful dodger" contest in the
Bungalow to test the marksmanship of the party. Each man successively
poked his head through a hole in the canvas, and the next man on the
list had the opportunity of bombarding him with some very soft balls.
Breed won the pool making the best score with a total of three hits
out of a possible eight, which was very creditable for that hour of
the evening.
<End excerpt>

A book by Tommy Lasorda, the Major League baseball player and manager
with the Dodgers, is called "The Artful Dodger".

The "Artful Dodger" character appeared in Oliver Twist which was
published by Charles Dickens in 1838. That probably provides a
lower-bound year for the use of this variant name. It is difficult to
search for instances of the game/activity because of false matches to
the character name.