Number 10 can (plus a surprise Hibachi)

Sun Oct 2 22:50:43 UTC 2011

I agree that the citations are not robust, but if someone said to me, "It tasted like it came from a #10 can," I would take it to mean it had inferior taste such as you might find at a restaurant chain or cafeteria. Conversely, I might say to someone who complimented a dish, "And it came from a #10 can!" meaning that it's a surprise.

That doesn't mean that all food that comes from #10 cans is of poor quality, but that the word "#10 can" has the connotation of institutional-like poor flavor. That's why I think it deserves its own entry, whereas other can numbers do not.

Benjamin Barrett
Seattle, WA