"(one's) to lose"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun Oct 2 23:52:27 UTC 2011

Those are interesting finds, Garson. But none of them seem to carry the
evaluative idea of being assured of something with the threat of losing it
through mismanagement or the like.

More to the point, perhaps, none (with the possible exception of 1913) are
in the context  of a competition, and certainly none are related to politics
or a sporting event.

JL