Quote: Not, sir, from your dictionary (Gilbert Stewart to Samuel Johnson 182[9] [diary entry 1824])

Mon Oct 3 15:30:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Quote: Not, sir, from your dictionary (Gilbert Stewart to
>              Samuel Johnson 182[9] [diary entry 1824])
>
> At 10/3/2011 10:29 AM, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>>At 10/3/2011 06:06 AM, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>>>The Salem Observer is available in the GenealogyBank database, and so
>>>I was excited and then disappointed when all my searches failed to
>>>find the earlier article. In fact, the issue coverage in the relevant
>>>time period seemed remarkably sparse. NewsBank owns GenealogyBank and
>>>Readex: America's Historical Newspapers. The database content overlaps
>>>because the same digital scans are used sometimes I believe. The
>>>ReadEx website seems to say that the number of available issues in the
>>>database for the Salem Observer is very small:
>>>
>>>Salem Observer of Salem, MA has only 31 digitized issues between
>>>1823-12-20 and 1836-07-23.
>>>
>>>But I do not wish to dissuade someone from looking.
>>
>>You've dissuaded me, since Harvard has only a microfilm, also 1823 to 1836!
>>
>>Joel
>
> Well, not entirely.
>
> The American Antiquarian Society library seems to have quite a few
> more issues than 31!  (Apparently they didn't give their file to
> Readex.)  They have "whole" the issues of May 23, May 30, and June 6,
> 1829.  (One of very few libraries -- actually the only one I can
> remember -- that states its issue holdings in its on-line
> catalog.)  I might look the next time I'm in Worcester.
>
> Joel

Great. Thanks for checking the American Antiquarian Society holdings.
When I was unable to find the article while searching the Salem
Observer of Salem, Massachusetts I tried to determine if there was
more than one newspaper with the same name in the New England region.
There is a Salem Observer of Manchester, New Hampshire, but I suspect
it did not exist in 1829.
Garson