"recognize the wool from the lamb"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 4 16:39:07 UTC 2011

Well, it pays to think twice, after having slept on it, and re-read
and re-watch once.  In Doyle's text, Isadora Klein says to Holmes,
"He [Douglas Maberley] wrote a book in which he described his own
story. I, of course, was the wolf; he the lamb."  Aha!

So I re-watched the video.  The English subtitle, when Holmes and
Watson are discussing the last and only extant page of Douglas's
book, certainly is "All of London would recognize the wool from the
lamb".  The audio is indistinct to my sub-par ears, but Brett perhaps
slurs the F in "wolf" (lip movement didn't help me enough) and it is
quite possible that the subtitler put "wool".  (There is one place
where Holmes says Steve Dixie was "easily cowed"  and the subtitle is
"easily coward", and there are one or two other, similar mis-hearings.)

So -- I now think Holmes said "recognize the *wolf* from the lamb",
which is simply "recognize Isadora Klein, the predator, from
Douglas's, the victim's, text."

(It is evident that the writer of the one Google hit for "recognize
the wool" wrote from the Granada DVD -- like me, not hearing a clear
F and/or reading the subtitle.  Holmes's line is not in Doyle.)

Apologies!
Joel