Q: "bourgeois epitan costume"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 4 17:30:39 UTC 2011

Another bit from "The Adventure of the Three Gables" DVD.  Holmes and
Langdale Pike are viewing a costumed revel (seems a mixture of
Restoration and Elizabethan styles) at the estate of "the young Duke
of Lomond" (as Doyle writes), Isadora Klein's current conquest.  Pike
says he and Holmes are "above bourgeois epitan costume".  (My hearing
and the subtitle agree.  Not in Doyle.)  "Epitan" is pronounced as I
might imagine it in French, with a distinct nasalized AN.

I don't find "epitan" in on-line French dictionaries, nor the phrase
"bourgeois epitan costume" in Google.  What may it mean?  Or is it
another subtitling error?

Joel