"going it like cripples"

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 4 17:49:38 UTC 2011

"Outhouse mouse!" was intended for HDAS as a variant of the allegedly
forthcoming "shithouse mouse!"  (HDAS X-ref'ing could be much improved. Mea
culpa!)

I also almost incl. a bracketed ref. to the title of de Camp's story as an
unusually prominent case of "gnarly" in pop literature which could have
sugg. the broader surfer sense of "tough; challenging; etc." Hence, "cool;
'tough.'"

But I decided that would be a bit too much.

JL