lie/lay alternation - not US

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 5 04:09:22 UTC 2011

Sheer speculation:  Maybe "lay with", with human object, is too close to "lay" (tr.), so "lie" in line 3 is a quasi-euphemism.  I know, doesn't explain why "lie" isn't used throughout.  Another perhaps more likely possibility:  The "if" in lines 1,2 induces an irrealis tense shift, where "lay" is past of "lie" (cf. "If I were to lie with you").  In this case, there'd be no appreciable difference between the below quatrain and e.g.

If I sat here
If I just sat here
Would you sit with me
And just forget the world?