fun with negatives

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 5 18:15:02 UTC 2011

Cf.:

A: Robin, you can't drive for sh*t!!

B: Robin, you drive for sh*t!!

These are synonymous in my idiolect, but perhaps not in everyone's.  Is
there anyone who finds B ungrammatical (by standards of common usage, of
course)? If so, that would render the statement more readily intelligible.

John surely has identified the sentiment:

"I'm a good driver, and you're paranoid."

I think, however, that he's done so in spite of the *apparent* grammar and
semantics of the statement.  Part of the problem too be the poet's
(possible) loose application of "paranoid" in the sense of simply "crazy." I
can't say that I'm familiar with that usage.

There's also may be an odd and confusing assumption that the reader's
"paranoia" could actually, somehow, be a cause of the driver's
ability/inability to "drive for sh*t!!"

JL