Q: "bourgeois epitan costume"

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Thu Oct 6 04:31:59 UTC 2011

Thanks to Douglas, Laurence, and Garson, in
chronological order.  This must be it -- costumes
to shock the bourgeois.  (Some in the Brett DVD
were pretty racy.)  The subtitler was illiterate
in French as well as English.  And the literary
allusion is surely intended -- later, Langdale
Pike refers to Isadora Klein as "la belle dame sans merci".

In passing, on-line French dictionaries do not
have "epatant" as "shocking", but rather "super,
splendid, stunning, spiffing, spanking" -- quite
a different sense and not fitting either
"bourgeois" or the "Three Gables" scene -- or
"epater", which they do define as "to amaze, stagger".

Joel